Attention: Account Registration

Welcome to the new EliteMMO forums!

Because we have moved hosts and forum software, you will need to register again and make a new account on our new forums.
Never fear though! XiClaim is now free to compensate our users for this inconvenience!

EliteMMO Network Administration

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator
Donator+
Donator

Hello everyone,

For the longest time, we have taken into consideration when building applications released on EliteMMO, to ensure that they will work on Windows XP machines. However, while they may run, we cannot guarantee the stability or performance of the applications we build due to the technologies being used. For example, the newer applications I have made recently (FantasyFisher and similar) all work on Windows XP, however, on lower-end XP machines, they do not perform well because they make use of WPF.

If you are unsure what WPF is, you can read up more on it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_P ... Foundation

While this allows us to reach out to a [slightly] larger user-base, it does prevent us from making use of more advanced, newer features in the languages we make use of. Because of these we lose out on better performing code, much cleaner and richer (easier to maintain) code, and overall a better experience creating the applications we build and release here.

Because of this, I am giving Windows XP support the cut. Applications going forward are not going to be built with Windows XP in mind.
Instead, anything developed from here on is going to be aimed for Windows Vista and higher. (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10)

As for current applications, I am giving an end-of-life date for Windows XP support as of: 10/1/2015

What does this mean for you?

If you are on a system running Windows Vista or higher, nothing. You are fine and nothing will change for you.

If you are on a system running Windows XP (or lower), then this means our applications will no longer work for you in a few months. Current applications may be altered and upgraded to newer versions of the tools we use which will require a newer end system to make use of.

Please note this is not us being mean. Windows XP was officially cut off from support by Microsoft on April 8, 2014. It has been well over a year now since Windows XP has been officially deemed retired by Microsoft. I urge you to upgrade your system(s) as soon as possible. If you disliked Windows Vista and refused to give 7/8 a try, I recommend that you try Windows 7. It is a very nice and stable desktop experience. If you are someone that enjoys new features and trying new things, check out Windows 8.1 and soon to be released Windows 10.

Building or buying a system able to run the games we support and create applications for is not that expensive these days ($300-400 can easily buy you a very nice, new-age desktop that is able to play todays games). You do not need to buy a namebrand computer to be able to keep up with todays technology!

I urge anyone running on Windows XP to really take the leap and get up to date with your system hardware and enjoy what there is to be offered to you these days. :)

Wiccaan
EliteMMO Network Administration

Enjoy my work and wish to support me directly?

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/atom0s

---

Need a great web host? Check out:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:28 pm 
Third-Party Developer
Donator+

Yes, I have been pushing atom0s on this due to XP not being a viable OS anymore and lacks so many features of the languages we use to create these applications. Mostly we are tired of being stuck on using v4.0 or below to write our code and would like to move on to more advanced features offered in the newer .NET and WPF.

*cheers I praise this move!*

Quick Reply
Subject: